|Location: Bedford, Bedfordshire||Salary: Negotiable|
|Sector: Client Delivery, Engineering||Specialism:|
|Type: Permanent||Contact: Jack Pleon|
Design Engineer - Based in Bedfordshire
Responsible for conceptual/preliminary design and analysis of aerospace vehicles, associated systems and related aspects, working as part of a small team and reporting directly to the Chief Systems Engineer.
Under the supervision of the Chief Systems Engineer, responsible for undertaking design, analysis, modelling and optimisation of new & existing air vehicles and systems, in accordance with the technical requirements and the Statement of Work specified within the scope of the contract agreed with the customer.
Main duties for the successful Design Engineer:
- Carry out analysis and interpretation of client/customer requirements/technical specifications using structured techniques and processes, with an understanding of whole air vehicle design, operational concepts and through life issues.
- Conceptualise innovative solutions to air vehicle and associated problems and challenging requirements, using multi-disciplinary approach and with and appreciation of systems integration issues.
- Perform conceptual and preliminary design analysis using text book techniques, where applicable.
- Extend text book design analysis to cater for novel/unusual design aspects.
- Research and propose approaches to address challenging air vehicle requirements taking into account the readiness and risks of any technologies proposed for application.
- Assist in the production of plans to de-risk novel aspects of air vehicles/systems.
- Participate as a team member in collaboration with other disciplines within CAeS in delivering preliminary designs to meet the technical requirements of customers.
- Participate in reporting technical progress associated with achieving the programme milestones.
- Support the provision of timely, economic, responses to customer requirements.
- Support Business Development in the pre-contract discussions and production of proposals through appropriate level analysis of air vehicle option performance.
- Other duties, appropriate to the capabilities possessed, to support company as and when mutually agreed with the Line Manager.
Knowledge and experience required for the successful Design Engineer:
- Understanding and experience of air vehicle conceptual design and performance analysis.
- Understanding and experience of air vehicle aerodynamics, stability and control and structural design.
- Understanding of air vehicle propulsion and power system performance.
- Understanding of air vehicle system integration issues
- Understanding of current and future air vehicle types and their applications
- Familiar with air vehicle optimisation approaches
- Some familiarity with the quality procedures and working practices under ISO9001, EASA/CAA & DAOS approvals preferable but not essential.
- Numerate and computer literate.
- Familiar with MS Office tools.
- Familiar with aerospace analysis and design methods and tools, e.g. Catia, MathCAD, Matlab, etc.