|Location: Ealing, London||Salary: Negotiable|
|Sector: Defence||Type: Permanent|
|Contact: James Giblin||Job Published: 5 days ago|
Head of Software
Head of Software Role Synopsis
A new and exciting opportunity has arisen for a Head of Software to join an established defence client who are looking for strong management staff to head up a new business unit in West London.
The Head of Software role is a genuinely exciting one, with opportunity to prove your existing managerial skills as well as develop on your technical abilities in a complex engineering environment.
We need someone with people management skills, and experience leading software functions for a large defence or aerospace company.
The role involves a great deal of people management, with a functional division of about 25 software engineers, we need someone to overlook this department and lead the communication business unit from the front, ensuring that high quality software engineering artefacts are created.
Responsibilities for the Head of Software Role
- Develop, train, mentor and lead a team of professional Software Engineers across embedded, Windows and Linux platforms in order to provide a capable and multi-skilled team.
- Recruitment of team members to meet project and business resource profiles; identifies performance shortfalls and manages team performance as required.
- Provide technical direction and exert technical influence across multiple projects, such that the optimal approach, architecture, design, and toolchain are selected.
- The design, development and delivery of high quality software artefacts for multiple projects, in accordance with project and company process, and project schedules, to ensure the delivery of products that meet their requirements.
- Providing Software Engineering input into internal and customer design reviews to ensure a successful outcome.
- Work closely with the system, firmware and software architects to ensure consistency, design for modularity and re-use, and technical excellence.
- Ensure that the process captured in the Business Management System is actively maintained, reflects best practice, and that the project and company Software Development Plans and Configuration Management Plans are adhered to, in order to achieve successful audits.
- Generate and review technical proposals, and provide estimates for the associated effort, costs and risks, for bids and proposals, leading to contract awards.
- Work closely with project management and engineering project leads to create proposals that drive down project costs and increase margin.
- Manage security of information as defined in the Security manual to ensure compliance with Government regulations.
The successful Head of Software will need to obtain and maintain DV clearance, meaning we can only accept applications from British Nationals.
Qualifications / skills required for the Head of Software
- Previous experience of line management, resource management and implementing process improvements.
- Significant experience of embedded product development (bare-metal and RTOS) using best practice over the full software development lifecycle.
- Experience of Windows, Python and Linux application and driver development advantageous.
- Advanced knowledge of software engineering practices, methodologies, processes, techniques and technology trends.
- Experience of DOORS, TDD, GoogleTest, Jenkins, CodeSonar, JIRA, UML and SysML would be advantageous.
- Degree in an engineering, mathematical or science-based subject desirable.
Benefits of the Head of Software Role
Due to the nature of the business and industry, we are unable to confirm the renumeration package on this job advert. To find out more information on this role, please call James Giblin on 01342 330554
We can confirm they offer a very generous package including a private pension, bonus and flexible benefits.
How to apply
Please click 'Apply Now!' Or call James Giblin on 01342 330554 and quote 'Head of Software'
This is an urgent role so we are looking for someone to join the team within the next few months.
Please make an application today!
Services advertised by Gold Group are those of an Agency and/or an Employment Business.