|Location: London, England||Salary: Negotiable|
|Sector: Oil & Gas||Specialism:|
|Type: Permanent||Contact: Aaron Stone|
Indirect Tax Manager
Indirect Tax Manager required to join a globally established Energy company in Central London. The purpose of the Indirect Tax Manager is twofold: to ensure that the processes and controls operated by the business are sufficiently robust from an indirect tax perspective and that business transactions are organised in the most VAT efficient way.
The role holder will liaise with financial and other staff within the business, joint ventures and associated companies ensuring that the indirect tax returns, payments and repayments are made in a timely manner. Any errors will need to be disclosed and settled with HMRC, minimising any potential interest or penalties.
The job requires an individual who is a qualified accountant and who has commenced or completed studies for an indirect tax qualification. They must be able to liaise with a range of people across the Company at an appropriate level and ultimately to work with a minimum of supervision, managing their own workloads and priorities. Flexibility and a sound knowledge of indirect taxes are essential as they will be involved in answering HM Revenue and Customs queries in respect of a range of business activities across all of the company. Computer literacy particularly in Excel and Word is essential and knowledge of SAP accounting systems and customer billing systems would be an advantage.
The role has line management responsibility and is expected to contribute to the overall Indirect Tax strategy and agenda.
The post-holder will be a member of the Tax Team and will be expected to play an active role within it. They will be required to grow the role and to take on responsibilities from their line manager over time.
The Indirect Tax Manager requires a flexible approach to meet the changing commitments of the Company:
- Ensuring that quality processes and controls are maintained throughout the business through the operation of an Indirect Tax Control Framework, training and audit activity
- Ensuring that all indirect tax returns are submitted accurately and on time by managing others
- Using exception reporting to quality assure the data that feeds into the various returns and resolving any issues identified through the use of that reporting
- Ensuring that the tax applied to transactions is as accurate as possible, focusing on areas of particular complexity e.g. validity of Certificates of VAT Declaration, operation of de minimis and accuracy of billing tax tables
- Dealing with audits, correspondence and notices from HMRC. Reviewing changes in the legislation and outcomes of cases to ensure the business correctly accounts for indirect taxes and achieves all benefits attainable;
- Providing advice on acquisitions and disposals, contracts and transactions and managing project work
- Discovering and reporting any errors and benefits via voluntary disclosure, working with the Business Units to improve systems accordingly. Working with HMRC to ensure interest and penalties costs are minimised;
- Constantly reviewing processes to ensure indirect taxes are reported in a efficient manner, reducing the tax burden and compliance costs within the business;
- Providing all round support on new systems projects, from design documents to testing and implementation;
- Line management of a small team;
- Any other duties commensurate with a tax role at this level
The above does not represent an exhaustive list of tasks. The role will be subject to variety of the needs and workload of the wider team.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
- CTA, ACCA, CIMA qualified or equivalent experience
- A sound knowledge of VAT, CCL and other indirect taxes and an ability to apply knowledge in a commercial way
- Very strong attention to detail;
- Ability to deal with significant amounts of ambiguity and to resolve complex problems
- Solution orientated approach to work
- Ability to prioritise a large and complex workload;
- Ability to work independently and to tight deadlines;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Intermediate excel skills and experience of SAP Financials; and
- An analytical approach