|Location: Yeovil, Somerset||Salary: £50000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits|
|Type: Permanent||Contact: Ian Cowx|
Lead System Safety Engineer
Yeovil - Somerset
£55,000 - £60,000 + Benefits
Permanent / 37.5 hrs per week
This new Lead System Safety Engineer role is with a leading prime contractor and systems integrator responsible for a wide portfolio of high technology programmes, complex integration, training and through-life support, spanning the defence and civil sectors.
The business unit is a leading provider of systems engineering, software development and complex programme management for global security, cyber, civil and commercial markets.
Our client is the Design Organisation and System Integrator for Merlin Mk2. In addition to prime contracts for development and modification of those aircraft/systems, they are sub-prime contracted to a major Helicopter Manufacturer for the Integrated Merlin Operational Support (IMOS) contract, which provides operational support to Merlin Mk2 and Merlin Mk3/Mk3A.
The company maintains a team based at the site in Yeovil, including a number of System Safety Engineers for you to work alongside.
The Lead System Safety Engineer will exhibit the following attributes:
- Be able to work on the task associated with the overall function without placing an excessive burden on the practitioner or expert.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills both written and verbal
- Be a team player
- Be able to work with minimal supervision
Leadership of the Merlin Safety Programme as directed by the leadership team and local direction of the Chief System Safety Engineer.
Undertake the following tasks:
- Develop and maintain Safety Management Plans, including sub-contractor/supplier interfacing elements
- Conduct Safety Assessments such as Preliminary Hazard Analysis, System Hazard Analysis, Sub System Hazard Analysis, Functional safety assessment, Occupational and Operating Hazard Analysis.
- Raising, preparing and managing electronic Change Forms (eCFs).
- Derive safety requirements, including integrity requirements
- Document System level safety arguments, Safety Cases and Safety Reports
- Review subcontract safety documents.
- Chair Project Safety Committees and supporting Safety Review Meeting and Technical Interface Meetings
- Conduct Zonals and physical safety audits.
- Analysis, assessment & producing reports on Defence Air Service Occurrence Reports (DASORs)
- Demonstrate compliance with legislative requirements
Required skills, qualifications and experience
Recent, relevant experience of implementation of safety programmes in a prime contractor/systems integration environment.
Working knowledge of:
- UK and EU safety related legislation (e.g. Health and Safety at Work Act)
- Environmental legislation and management systems (eg. ISO14001 etc.)
- Defence and commercial safety standards such as Def Stan 00-056, Def-Stan 00-055, Mil Std 882, IEC61508, JSP 430)
- Project Oriented Safety Management System (POSMS)
- Project Oriented Environmental Management System (POEMS)
- Safety Case development using the Adelard Safety Case Editor (ASCE)
- Hazard Management using eCassandra
- Event Tree and Fault Tree development using Reliability Work Bench
Desired skills, qualifications and experience
- Application of the required skills in an military aircraft environment
- An understanding of the implication of derived safety requirements, including integrity requirements assigned to programmable elements
- Understanding of the Military Aviation Authority Regulatory Articles as they apply to Rotary Aircraft, in particular the RA 1200 series
- Understanding Def-Stan 00-970, and its application to Rotary platforms
- Understanding of Def-Stan 00-972
Clearance Required: SC but able to start with BPSS