|Location: Maidstone, Kent||Salary: £39000 - £55000 per annum|
|Sector: Engineering, Highways & Highways Electricals, Utilities & Infrastructure, Rail & Infrastructure||Specialism:|
|Type: Permanent||Contact: Ashleigh Hicks|
Principal Bridge Engineer
£39,600 - £54,300
This role is a fixed term contract until 31st May 2021.
About the Principal Bridge Engineer Role:
A Principal Bridge Engineer will be responsible for leading design, assessment and optioneering schemes to maintain or improve the Highways England structures assets in Area 4, to the agreed budget, programme and quality, considering the requirements of the key stakeholders.
The role will involve managing the schemes by internal and external resources against the programme, as well as providing technical support and reporting the progress of the schemes back to the Design team leader.
The successful role holder will have to closely liaise with other teams including asset, construction, commercial as well as other offices, the JV partner parent companies and other stakeholders working closely with Area 4.
The Principal Bridge Engineer also will support the senior engineers, engineers, and assistant engineers within the team to develop their career.
* Participate in developing cost effective, feasible, safe structural solutions (highway bridges design and assessment, strengthening, refurbishment or replacement of structural elements; e.g. expansion joints, bearings, parapets, etc);
* Lead assessment / optioneering / design / independent check projects mainly by external resources to the completion under the Design Team Leader's supervision;
* Monitor the progress of schemes against the programme and report back to the Design Team Leader;
* Bridge between the external design resources and the internal wider team;
* Actively seek for improvement and innovative ways of carrying out the works;
* Ensure mistakes and/or threats to the programme are identified as early as possible, communicated efficiently, dealt with a positive attitude, take corrective actions, and capture lessons learnt;
* Mentor and assist in the career development of other members of the team, especially in achieving;
* Share knowledge, experiences and lessons learnt within the team;
* Focus on safety.
* Appropriate degree in Civil / Structural Engineering
* Chartered Member of ICE or Instructed
* Demonstrable capability of understanding the behaviour of highways structures, particularly highway bridges and their structural element (e.g. expansion joints, parapets, bearings, etc), independently developing feasible options, conceptual and detailed design as well as assessments
* Ability to identify and collate the information necessary for preparation of the works
* Ability to prepare hand sketches and estimate the structural analyses without any computer software
* Demonstrable knowledge and experience of DMRB, MCHW, British Standards, Eurocodes and CDM
* Strong experience in writing technical reports and work specifications
* Proficient in managing highways structures schemes by external and internal resources
* Proficient in using MS Office programmes including MS Project
* Excellent communication skills
* Excellent ability of team working, motivating and supporting internal and external team members
* Taking lead, ownership and responsibility for works
* Open-mindedness towards challenges / change requirements on the developed options
* Safety focused
* Significant post qualification experience in bridge engineering including design, assessment, strengthening
* Ability to use software packages such as LUSAS, Mathcad, Scale, etc
* Experience of working on the schemes of Highways England or local authorities would be an advantage
Services advertised by Gold Group are those of an Agency and/or an Employment Business.