|Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire||Salary: £50000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits|
|Sector: Human Factors, Medical Devices||Type: Permanent|
|Contact: Ian Cowx||Job Published: 3 days ago|
Principal Human Factors Consultant
£50,000 - £60,000 + Benefits
We are looking for a bright, experienced and enthusiastic Human Factors Engineer to join our internationally recognised and fast growing Human Factors Engineering team in Cambridge.
Our Human Factors Engineering team is part of a Global Medical Team based in Cambridge. The Division undertakes the development of innovative medical products from understanding user and stakeholder needs through to concept generation, design, development, verification and validation. Projects fall into four key areas:
- Drug delivery
- Diagnostic devices and systems
- Surgical products and systems
- Connected health
The products developed range from next generation injection devices and novel point-of-care diagnostic devices to revolutionizing surgical tools and connected healthcare devices.
We combine highly creative lateral thinking with excellent technical skills and broad industry experience to form powerful development teams. Our work ranges from complete product developments to providing consulting services for our clients on their technology, strategy or development processes.
What is on offer?
- Competitive salary
- Company profit share scheme in addition to basic salary
- Pension scheme up to 12% contribution
- Life assurance plan
- Private medical insurance
- Travel insurance
- Disability insurance plan
- Free canteen - lunches and refreshments
- 25 days annual holiday plus public holidays
- Relocation assistance if applicable
- Excellent career development and training opportunities
- Flexible working hours
- Social committee
- You will lead the human factors aspects of medical product development projects. This will require collaboration with multidisciplinary teams.
- You will work closely with engineers, designers and scientists to uncover user and stakeholder needs and convert them into design solutions. This will include leading front-end research and participation in concept generation activities and providing continuous human factors guidance to the project and team.
- You will design and run various types of human factors studies such as formative and validation studies in the UK and abroad.
- You will manage small to medium sized human factors projects, overseeing teams of human factors engineers and ensuring that the project is delivered to clients' satisfaction and within the timescale and budget.
- You will work collaboratively with business development team and other senior members of the company to support sales activities. This may include identifying opportunities, participating in prospective client meetings, preparing sales materials and writing up proposals.
- Sound knowledge of the human factors requirements for medical and combination products for regulatory submissions
- Good understanding of the medical product development process and how human factors fits within the process
- Good knowledge, skills and experience of understanding and capturing users and stakeholders needs and aspirations, and translating them into product requirements specification. This includes conducting contextual enquiries, workshops and focus groups.
- Good skills and experience of use-related risk management, including hazard identification and uFMEA
- Good knowledge, skills and experience of conducting preliminary analyses such as Task Analysis, Heuristic Analysis, Expert Reviews
- Good experience of designing and conducting various types of formative and validation studies, including conducting one-to-one interviews with end users
- Good experience of writing study protocols and reports to high technical standards
- Good experience of writing Human Factors Engineering (HFE) / Usability Engineering (UE) reports
In addition, the following experience would be preferable:
- Experience of designing and evaluating instructional materials, e.g. IFU and training video
- Experience of digital UI design and evaluation
- Experience of providing human factors services for connected medical products
- Understanding of regulatory pathway and framework for different types of medical products
- Significant experience working in a medical consulting environment or for a pharmaceutical or medical device development company
- Experience of managing projects, overseeing teams of 2-5 people, delivering results to clients' satisfaction within the budget and timeline
- Ability to work effectively on varied medical products, across a range of different clients, both as part of a multidisciplinary team and independently
A bachelor's degree preferably in Human Factors Engineering, Usability Engineering, Ergonomics, Psychology or Engineering. Any other bachelor's degree with relevant experience will also be acceptable.
This advert was posted by Gold Group - one of the UK's leading niche recruitment consultancies. We span a variety of specialist industries and are the recruitment company to help you find your next career opportunity. We pride ourselves on our commitment to candidates and stick to our ethos of finding the right role for the right person. Visit our website or get in touch today to discuss this role, find out what else we've got or just for a chat about the state of your industry. Services advertised by Gold Group are those of an Agency and/or an Employment Business. Please be aware that we receive a high volume of applications for every role advertised and regularly receive applications from candidates who exceed the job credentials. We will only contact you within the next 14 days if you are selected for interview.