|Location: Harlow, Essex||Salary: £45000 - £56000 per annum|
|Sector: Client Delivery, Technology, Defence, IT & Telecoms||Type: Permanent|
|Contact: William Church||Job Published: 20 days ago|
Senior Database Administrator
Senior Database Administrator needed for a leading Defence and Cyber-Security organisation based in Essex. Our client is looking to employ an experienced Senior Database Administrator with an in-depth knowledge of managing Databases including SQL and Oracle technologies, experience of implementing high availability solutions like Clustering, Mirroring etc... and 2nd /3rd line support.
What the role entails:
Some of the main duties of the Senior Database Administrator will include:
- Support Enterprise level Database applications including Microsoft SQL and Oracle, and associated management and monitoring tools required to manage a large corporate estate.
- Provide 2nd /3rd line support within the team to a number of legacies packaged and internally developed applications used by engineering, programmes, core IT Services and other Back Office functions.
- Support the management of incidents, problems and changes to the service efficiently and effectively following the agreed and documented processes.
- Monitor the performance, capacity, security and tuning of the database estate on a day to day basis.
- Develop, support and maintain the corporate level SQL and Oracle database farms, working in close cooperation with the Data Centre, Network, Remote Site and Application Services teams.
- Perform complex system management and SQL application performance, troubleshooting and tuning including using debugging TSQL, PowerShell and scripting tools as necessary to manage estate.
- implement high availability solutions like Clustering, Mirroring etc. and SQL Extended events.
- Develop and promote and SQL Standards and Monitoring for IT development and initiatives.
- Build strong working relationships.
- Develop and implement a plan to rationalise the estate for optimum performance, security, licensing and ease of maintenance.
- Ensure backup schedules & data retention and period maintenance are aligned.
- Proactively identify and manage risk in line with departmental risk strategy.
- Deliver cross functional improvement projects were applicable utilising the companys 6 Sigma methodology.
- Perform Out of hours / On Call Cover service
- Represent the interests of the Database Services team at internal and external public events and forums.
What you need to be the successful Senior Database Administrator:
- Deep and detailed experience of managing Databases including SQL and Oracle technologies.
- Experience of designing and supporting enterprise systems that leverage SQL (All prevailing versions) and SQL application performance tuning and troubleshooting.
- Experience of implementing high availability solutions like Clustering, Mirroring etc. and SQL Extended event
- Experience of troubleshooting complex SQL and Oracle issues, debugging code, and resolving enterprise level issues for backbone data storage solutions.
- Experience of developing, promoting and monitoring SQL Standards for IT developments and initiatives.
- Good working knowledge of Team Foundation Server (TFS) and Visual Studio 2015
- Experience of SharePoint, .NET, C#.NET, ASP.NET, jQuery, CSS, HTML, PowerShell scripting, InfoPath forms and BI capabilities.
- Experience of providing high demand/mission critical systems on a 24x7 basis.
- Knowledge of Service Management disciplines engagement, design, delivery and maintenance lifecycles in a high technology or IT services domain.
- Thorough understanding of ITIL best practice.
- Detailed knowledge / experience of project and service delivery disciplines including business analysis and requirements gathering, resource planning, ability to create project proposals. Full project lifecycle experience, user support & training experience.
- Ability to understand and analyse complex business problems in order to define and develop technology-based solutions.
- Excellent relationship skills - the ability to build positive relationships with both technical and business personnel.
- Excellent communication skills
This really is a fantastic opportunity for a Senior Database Administrator to progress in their career. If you are interested please apply as soon as possible as this position will be filled quickly so don't miss out!
All applicants applying for the Senior Database Administrator position must be eligible for Security Clearance.