|Location: Crawley, West Sussex||Salary: £45000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits Package|
|Sector: Safety||Type: Permanent|
|Contact: Ian Cowx||Job Published: 16 days ago|
Software Safety Engineer
Crawley / Horsham / Leatherhead / Brighon / Redhill commutable
£40,000 - £60,000 + excellent benefits package
As a Software Safety Engineer you will have the opportunity to be part of a team focused on the development and delivery of products and programmes in the aerospace sector covering both the Civil and Military domains.
This could include;
- Supporting the delivery of innovative Air to Ground Solution for aircraft, which provides vastly improved internet access for passengers
- The development of next generation Control Display Navigation Unit for helicopters
- Supporting one of several studies being undertaken to shape the future of aircraft communication systems
In this role of Software Safety Engineer you will provide Safety Engineering Expertise lead to programmes, including being the principal point of contact to the programme for all Safety related matters, including interfacing directly with customers and their appointed Independent Safety Environmental Auditor.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
- Providing Software Safety support and advice to other colleagues and disciplines within the company
- Hold responsibility for managing the Safety Work Package
- You wil be responsible for ensuring that the derived safety requirements are assessed and that the evidence demonstrates that the safety requirements have been met
- Responsible to Quality Assurance for ensuring that the system complies with all legal and legislative safety requirements
- An independent reporting responsibility to the Director responsible for Safety
- The role will also involve direct interaction with the Regulatory Compliance Office
- Production of safety-related documentation in line with internal processes, including System or Equipment Safety Cases, to support delivery and use of equipment containing software/firmware, including evidence of compliance to standards such as Def Stan 00-55, 00-56, DO-254 and DO-178B/C.
- Liaise with suppliers, in acceptable approaches to meeting the allocated requirements (e.g. Def Stan 00-56, including read-across from US Standards (Mil Std, RTCA-DO, etc)).
- Review and approve documentation delivered by suppliers of software including: Software Safety Management Plans, Software Development Plans, Version Description Documents, evidence of test cases/procedures and results at all levels, Safety analysis and safety cases.
- Supporting Independent Safety Environmental Auditor, Independent Technical Evaluator, and customer activities including working groups, audits and assessments.
- Support suppliers of safety related software as point of contact, attendance at Product Safety Committees, development phase reviews and conduct of testing to ensure project safety requirements will be delivered.
- Review airworthiness certification documentation relating to equipment containing software/firmware.
The successful candidate profile:
- Has Experience of Safety Engineering with significant software/firmware content, and has experience of developing complex system safety cases
- Experience of performing, or having involvement with, hazard analysis techniques such as Functional Failure Analysis (FFA) and Software Failure Modes and Effects Analysis is desirable (FMEA).
- Knowledge of safety related standards such as Def Stan 00-55, 00-56, DO-178B/C and DO-254. Knowledge of other standards (including non-military standards) desirable.
- Knowledge of hazard logs, safety cases and safety arguments including the use of Goal Structured Notation
- Experience of working directly with the UK MoD or Aircraft OEMs, or UK and overseas suppliers in a responsible safety-related role
- Is a team player; who can perform effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment, but is also capable of working independently
- Asks challenging questions to develop their understanding, but can also suggest new ideas to further our offering and increase our added value
- A self-starter, with an ability to manage their own workload and meet their agreed objectives, whilst also contributing to the development and delivery of wider operational plans
- Possesses a "can-do" attitude, and is confident in their ability to solve complex problems
- Displays enthusiasm about learning new skills, technology, and takes their own self-development seriously
- Pays attention to detail and can understand complex ideas, but is also capable of stepping back and understanding the wider context and concepts in which the business operates