|Location: Bedford||Salary: £50000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits|
|Type: Permanent||Contact: Jack Pleon|
Full time Permanent
I am looking for an experienced and disciplined Engineering Manager to lead and manage the Systems Engineering Team and to be responsible for the engineering excellence of the company's wind tunnels, test rigs and supporting systems.
The successful candidate will manage the engineering aspects of the operation and development of the site and, through application of continuous improvement, increase the availability and capability of the plant as a whole.
My client will expect the Engineering Manager to drive and technically manage new technology introduction and wide ranging changes to the plant including potentially extensive system replacements and upgrades.
What experience you need to be the successful Engineering Manager:
1. Understand the design intent, operating regimes and running characteristics of a wide range of complex plant. For example; large, high power electrical systems and switch gear; rotating machinery such as compressors and pumps; lubrication and cooling systems; hydraulic actuation and positional control systems; structural installations, supporting steelwork and welded structures; etc.
2. Define the designs of the wind tunnels, test rigs and supporting systems (as defined in the scope below) and ensure that they are correctly described in company documentation.
3. Manage the training & development of the Systems Engineering Team and ensure that their competence is commensurate with the role performed.
4. Ensure that the system design and operation procedures are safe and meet legislative requirements and applicable engineering standards. This will include the safe management of asbestos and other substances and also cater for the access limitations imposed by a facility of this age and design.
5. Ensure that the design, modifications, operation and maintenance processes meet the extant Quality standards.
6. Maintain a process for controlling the actual configurations of the systems such that changes to the systems or temporary deviations from the design configurations are visible, understood and controlled.
7. Maintain a design process for defining, analyzing, reviewing and approving designs, including modifications and temporary changes.
8. Perform formal Engineering investigations to determine the root cause of failures or sub-optimum performance in equipment. Develop and implement design changes for a permanent fix. A knowledge of FRACAS, 8D or other structured investigation methodologies is essential.
9. Determine from basic principles the operating parameters of systems and equipment which has long-since lost any documentation or current engineering knowledge.
10. Be skilled at (and enjoy the challenge of) investigating symptoms in systems which have long-since lost any documentation or current engineering knowledge.
11. Maintain a good understanding of the models, equipment and testing methods being used in the tunnels so that compatibility between the design and use is continually assured.
12. Maintain a continuous improvement plan for the systems that meets the business requirements and is developed in collaboration with colleagues in the management team considering future plans and business needs.
13. Advise the maintenance requirements and instructions for the systems, approving the maintenance plans, reviewing maintenance actions and reports.
14. Advise the research projects on the capabilities and limitations of the facility.
15. Maintain morale and nurture a productive and positive culture.
16. Specify the operating requirements and instructions required to maintain the integrity of the system designs and approve the operating manuals.
Essential Skills and Qualifications:
- Hold either academic qualifications (e.g. B Eng or similar), preferably in electrical engineering, or equivalent knowledge by industrial experience.
- Experience of FRACAS, 8D or other structured investigation methodologies.
- Proven track record of coaching, motivating and engaging a team; ideally, in a technical environment and preferably with 10+ years' experience.
- Possess a high level of emotional resilience
Please note that eligibility for UK security clearance up to SC level is required for the Engineering Manager position.
Services advertised by Gold Group are those of an Agency and/or an Employment Business.