|Location: Cambridge||Salary: £50000 - £60000 per annum|
|Sector: Life Sciences||Type: Permanent|
|Contact: Simon Cowley||Job Published: 17 days ago|
My client is looking for strong senior bioinformaticians to take the position as Head of Bioinformatics for its busy Bioinformatics Team. The oppotunity is with a start up company based in Cambridge who provide services intended to assist preclinical oncology researchers to speed up their projects by helping them find and source the most suitable cancer models for their needs, to accelerate cancer drug development. Using their Bioinformatics expertise the company partners contract research organisations (CROs) worldwide to organise and curate their cancer model metadata.
The company has a growing number of client CROs and as a result have a need for a skilled and experienced Bioinformatician to join the team.
You will be part of a friendly and enthusiastic team that has a real-life impact on cancer drug development and ultimately better treatments being delivered to patients. We are committed to working ethically.
The successful bioinformatician needs to have
- Background in Mathematics/Statistics or a Clinical/Biological field
- MSc or PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology, or similar discipline
- 3+ years of work experience within bioinformatics
- Right to work in the UK
In addition other essential skills include
- Excellent understanding of genetics and molecular biology. Confident navigating literature to quickly gain an understanding of known disease mechanisms and drug targeting strategies in cancer. Confident navigating cancer jargon and understanding the molecular mechanisms they reference.
- Confident in using relational databases (PostgreSQL), UNIX command line tools and cloud storage systems (especially Google Cloud Storage) to organise and explore data
- Good understanding of biological assays (especially NGS) and which information can be extracted from what kind of data
- Experience with common online biological/medical/bioinformatic resources (e.g. Pubmed, COSMIC, TCGA, dbSNP) and with genome browsers
- Professional experience with programming languages such as Python, R and shell scripting.
If you are an experienced Bioinformatician looking to join an exciting and dynamic start up, please contact me as soon as you can!
Services advertised by Gold Group are those of an Agency and/or an Employment Business.