|Salary: £55000 - £85000 per annum + Benefits
|Contact: Ian Cowx
Principal Nuclear Safety Engineer
Bristol or Glasgow or Farnborough + Hybrid
£65,000 to £85,000+ Benefits Package (depends on relevant experience)
This position will require you to undergo background checks to achieve a high level of security clearance, to meet these requirements you need to be a UK Passport holder.
In this exciting new role there will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience in the UK working across diverse projects with multiple clients and also scope for international travel, and in particular in the civil nuclear sector that is involved in the design of the new generation of nuclear power stations in the UK.
If you are ready to be our clients next new Principal Nuclear Safety Engineer we would love to hear from you ASAP.
We are looking for people who thrive on making a strong personal contribution and working collaboratively with colleagues and clients to create solutions that enhance the reputations of themselves, the business and the end clients. We want you to be someone who enjoys working in a growing business, and we will provide you the environment to progress your career as the business expands even further.
We will want you to play an effective role in a range of exciting major defence related programmes across the UK and be involved with all aspects of Safety Assurance support. This includes nuclear new build facilities, life extension and upgrades for existing facilities and equipment and decommissioning support also and therefore covers the full lifecycle of these major programmes in the defence nuclear sector.
You will be in a unique position of being able to offer full concept through to detailed design capability across some fantastic, inspirational projects. We are involved in developing innovative, practical solutions for our clients across the UK and also further afield.
With existing relationships with the major nuclear operators in the defence sector, we offer a stimulating variety of work, within a team which is rapidly developing to meet the challenge of defence nuclear.
The role will entail providing safety assurance support during the design, construction, operation and decommissioning of nuclear facilities. You will support our client in managing nuclear safety and ensuring compliance with the Site Licence Conditions and will typically provide technical leadership for:
- Hazard/fault identification studies, HAZOP, FMEA for example.
- Qualitative and Quantitative Hazard Assessments.
- Radiological Hazard Assessments.
- Probabilistic Safety Assessments.
- Safety report production.
- Support to Engineering Substantiation activities.
- Development and review of Safety management arrangements.
- Producing nuclear technology technical reports.
- Managing safety assurance activities and leading safety assurance teams.
Other key aspects of the role will include mentoring others in a technical capacity, assisting in the production of bids and proposals, and implementing and contributing to safety initiatives. You will also liaise with operators, designers and clients, building a strong relationship with them.
What makes you a good match?
- Someone who is looking to make the next step in their career and to join a team that will provide all the opportunities for further progression that come with being part of a growing business. You will be keen to grow your knowledge and experience and someone who thrives in a stretching but supportive environment.
- You will enjoy approaching things in different ways - you like making improvements and consider different approaches, trying to find the best approach to fit whatever is the current context. As soon as you're presented with a problem, you are focused on how to resolve it, whatever it might be.
- You don't just tackle these things alone. You like to engage with others, and especially enjoy watching people develop and grow in the team. You enjoy explaining complex ideas, helping people to 'get it', and then watch them go on and achieve more.
- Building and developing relationships is a key part of this role. You enjoy getting to know people, and working out how you can have a positive impact on them - whether that's delivering something that a client needs, or helping someone to progress within the organisation.
In addition to having excellent communication, presentation and problem solving skills you will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Honours Degree (or equivalent) in physics, mechanical engineering, or closely related discipline.
- Working towards attaining Chartership status or a desire to start that journey.
- Technical practitioner able to demonstrate good engineering judgement and with extensive experience in using fundamental engineering skills.
- Proven record of delivering technically challenging projects.
- Strong background in safety case production and hazard analysis, with extensive experience within the nuclear and defence industry.
- Able to produce and review/correct high-quality technical reports.
- Leadership of technical teams and development of more junior staff.
- Motivated and driven to meet delivery/cost targets without compromising quality.
- Awareness of their own technical limitations and using the help and support of others to deliver.
Services advertised by Gold Group are those of an Agency and/or an Employment Business.