|Location: Plymouth, Plymouth, England||Salary: Negotiable|
|Sector: Space||Type: Permanent|
|Contact: Matt Bentman||Job Published: 23 days ago|
Our client is currently recruiting for an experienced Earth Observation Scientist with project management experience. An independent company of scientists and software developers based in Plymouth, our client specialises in satellite-based Earth Observation, remote-sensing applications and geographical information systems.
Their key clients include the European Space Agency and the European Commission and they're currently involved with the Copernicus missions (Sentinel-2 and Sentinel-3) on behalf of the European Space Agency.
This is an exciting role which sits at the intersection of project management and science. The successful applicant will be responsible for managing projects and will be required to complete scientific/technical tasks as and when required.
The successful applicant will:
- Lead projects and work with international industrial and scientific partners to ensure work is completed to our client's expectations. Function as the point of contact for client's Technical Officer.
- Lead project meetings with our clients, partners and customers.
- Collaborate in future projects and undertake work that pushes the boundaries of satellite-based Earth Observation.
- Draft scientific/technical proposals.
- Provide scientific/technical leadership.
- Propose and execute innovative approaches to scientific problems, including identifying potential opportunities arising from them.
- Writing technical and scientific documentation - including project documentation and website management (as required by the contract).
- Drafting scientific/technical components of bids for new projects.
- Mentor your colleagues in their scientific/technical development.
- Contribute to in-house scientific data analysis.
- A PhD involving Earth Observation/Remote Sensing/Oceanography, Marine Science (or other equivalent qualification).
- If the candidate lacks a PhD, they will need to demonstrate equivalent industry experience.
- Experience in project management.
- Professional experience of working to customer focused deadlines.
- Evidence of good technical & scientific writing skills e.g. peer-reviewed publications, journals etc.
- Experience in liaising with external stakeholders and customers.
- Experience of using & validating satellite remote sensing products.
- Ability to interpret new ideas and concepts, to implement and test before providing feedback.
- A proven ability to provide innovative solutions to scientific problems and overcome obstacles.
- Ability to lead a project team, both locally and remotely.
- Ability to work independently, but also comfortable working within part of a large team.
- Ability to develop productive working relationship within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills allowing you to communicate effectively.
- Ability to manage and prioritise your personal workload and that of your team.
- Must possess excellent organisational skills and be able to respond positively and proactively to changes to your work schedule.
- Ability to work to strict and sometimes changing deadlines.
- Willingness to travel within Europe, as and when required.
- Attention to detail and openness to critical feedback.
- A Project Management qualification
- Experience of working on a European Space Agency project
- Software programming in either C++, C, or C#
- Scripting in Python and BASH
- Experience of the Linux operating system and scripting within this system
- Experience in commercial bid writing
- Confident delivering presentations to large international audiences at conferences / workshops
- Coaching / Mentoring experience
- Negotiation skills
- Networking experience
Services advertised by Gold Group are those of an Agency and/or an Employment Business.