|Location: Bedford, Bedfordshire||Salary: £50000 - £60000 per annum + Excellent Benefits|
|Type: Permanent||Contact: Ian Cowx|
Senior System Safety Engineer
Bedfordshire / St Albans / Milton Keynes
£50,000 - £60,000 + Pension, Flexi-time, 25 days Hol, Gym Membership, Childcare Vouchers and more....
One of our biggest and longest standing customers has come to us again to find them there next great hire in System Safety Engineering, we are the UK's longest operating Safety Engineering Specailist after all !
This role is a Perm staff position working on UK and international Defence projects out of the UK Headquarters, you will be providing expertise on land based defence vehicle projects.
You will be producing Safety Cases for various programmes, reviewing product systems, associated support equipment and facilities, functional specs and operations.
Independently analyse and recommend safety criteriam in system design, equipment and procedures to control or eliminate hazards.
- Evolve / review safety designs for products, associated support equipment and facilities, functional specifications and operations, and establishment of safety requirements for assigned systems
- Focus on directing members of the team to meet critical schedules, resolution of complex technical and operational performance problems.
- Experience of Ordnance would be highly desirable but not essential
- Development of acceptable risk from first principles
- Development of Independent analysis and mitigation identification to control / eliminate hazards
- Development of definition and deliver hazard identification and hazard analysis requirements using appropriate hazard analysis types and techniques
- Delivery of ALARP strategies
- Development and delivery of safety management of potentially hazardous trials
- Development and delivery of safety documents as required to support customer and test/operational range requirements
- Participate in accident investigations involving damage to products or related facilities and assists in identification of causes and corrective actions
- Evaluate the interrelationship of system safety requirements and other aspects of concept design and development requirements to ensure the most cost effective program
Required skills and experience
- Qualified to degree or equivalent standard in an engineering subject or equivalent experience/combined education with professional experience; or professional experience with a related degree.
- Proven experience in a safety-associated role, preferably in a defence related industry. That experience to include the determination and allocation of SILs.
- Detailed understanding and experience of UK, US and EEC Safety Legislation.
- Fully familiar with the relevant Joint Service Publications and Defence Standards associated with safety assessment of defence equipment.
- Experience with IT based toolsets common to the system safety discipline.
Desired skills and experience
- Implementation of IEC61508.
- Experience in the safety management of OME products.
- Working knowledge and understanding of the UK MoD Design Certification and clearance process.