|Location: Havant||Salary: Benefits|
|Sector: Defence, Engineering, Safety||Specialism:|
|Type: Permanent||Contact: Ian Cowx|
System Safety Engineer
£45,000 - £55,000 + Extensive Benefits and a flexible work pattern (home based during Covid)
Portsmouth / Southampton / Fareham / Guildford / Basingstoke commutable
To be eligible for this role you must be able to satisfy UK MOD requirements for SC Clearance.
This position is to support the System Safety Programme for an important helicopter programe in the UK's defence industry. These programmes include technology enhancements to both aircraft and maritime platforms.
The System Safety Engineer is responsible for supporting the Lead System Safety Engineer in the implementation, co-ordination and conduct of programme safety and environmental related activities.
The role will require you to develop Safety Cases, associated safety arguments, and the identification and management of hazards inherent in the final product to ensure that the safety case complies with both legislative and contracted requirements.
In addition, Software Safety tasks may include performing specific safety management activities, developing Safety Management Plans, and associated audit plans / audits, safety cases, as well as associated safety arguments and working with suppliers to achieve their compliance where content is sub-contracted.
Under the direction of the Lead Safety Engineer, undertake the following tasks:
- Develop Safety Management Plans, including sub-contractor and supplier interfaces
- Conduct Functional Safety Assessments for System Safety aspects, such as Preliminary Hazard Analysis, System Hazard Analysis, Sub System Hazard Analysis, Functional safety assessment, Occupational and Operating Hazard Analysis.
- Derive System Safety requirements, including integrity requirements
- Document System Level Safety Arguments, Safety Cases and Safety Reports
- Review subcontractors safety documents.
- Support Project Safety Committees, Safety Review Meetings, Safety Review Meetings and Safety Engineering Working Groups
- Conduct Zonal and physical safety audits.
- Demonstrate compliance with legislation
- Support development of safety processes, procedures and improvements
The System Safety Engineer will have a Bachelors degree from an accredited college in a related discipline.
Relevant experience of Safety Engineering programmes.
- UK and EU safety related legislation
- Environmental legislation and management systems (eg. ISO14001 etc.)
- Experience of some of the Defence and commercial safety standards such as Def-Stan 00-055, Def Stan 00-056, Mil Std 882, IEC61508, JSP 430), RTCA DO- 178C, and RTCA DO254
- Safety Case development using Adelard Safety Case Editor (ASCE)
- Hazard Management
- Event Tree and Fault Tree development
- Experience of the software development commensurate with SIL 2 including safety aspects of software requirements methodologies, design principles, Coding and verification
- Understanding of the impact of use of COTS equipment
Desirable (not essential).
- Application of Safety Engineering skills in a military environment
- Understanding of the Military Aviation Authority Regulatory Articles as they apply to Rotary Aircraft
- Understanding Def-Stan 00-970
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills both written and verbal
- Team player
- Able to work with minimal supervision
Services advertised by Gold Group are those of an Agency and/or an Employment Business.