|Location: Chelmsford, Essex||Salary: £37000 - £39000 per annum|
|Type: Permanent||Contact: Matt Henocq|
Tooling Design Engineer
My client delivers innovative technology for high performance systems and equipment for the aerospace, defence, space, and medical industries globally.
Responsibilities of the role:
The Tooling Design Engineer's role will include the initiation, development and management of feasible, cost-effective and reliable engineering jig/fixture and tooling designs from concept through to production.
The successful candidate will participate in and contribute to design and feasibility reviews with customers, suppliers, the internal team, produce CAD drawings and schemes, and all supporting documents.
You will work closely with the production, development and Design Services teams providing accurate design for manufacture and assembly solutions. You will be required to work independently, being responsible for managing your own workload, creating jig and fixture assembly drawing BOMs.
They will form part of a mechanical design team that is situated within the Engineering Services group, other disciplines within Engineering Services include PCB Design, Numerical Modelling, Mechanical Design, Reliability Engineering, Model Shop and Documentation Control. They will be embedded within the Production Engineering function. This role will be responsible for the design, development and delivery of tooling, jigs and fixtures within the RF Power division.
- Work closely with Product Group, Engineering Personnel, external suppliers to design new and enhance existing jigs, fixtures and tooling by applying Mechanical Design knowledge and skills
- Provide Engineering capability to ensure all new product tooling requirements are introduced in an effective, timely manner
- Produce designs that meet technical, quality and safety requirements and are capable of cost-effective manufacture.
- Take a pivotal role in design for manufacture and design for assembly.
- Development of TPM requirements for all CTQ features.
- Coordination of all trialling activities prior to release to standard production.
- Using MCAD to design/produce fully specified tooling drawings to ensure ease of manufacture & assembly.
- Provide tool design assistance for other production, production support and engineering departments.
- Support the Purchasing department in the effective procurement of the optimum tooling.
- Troubleshoot tooling issues and understand both the design and manufacturing requirements and making quick decisions to maintain timely progress.
- To act as a focal point, using 2D/3D CAD software to service the needs of Production and Production Engineering, ensuring good levels of communication and customer satisfaction.
- To develop creative working practices in a bid to support the manufacturing facility.
- Delivery of designs within budget and to agreed timescales.
- Researching background information from a variety of sources in support of mechanical design decisions
- Timely action of relevant engineering change requests in accordance with company procedures, and progress them through the design office to completion.
- Keeping abreast of the latest developments in the field of Mechanical Design and MCAD and applying knowledge to develop new processes that will deliver process improvement.
- Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental (OHSE)
The role holder is also responsible OHSE and must:-
- Champion our Health and Safety standards, procedures and company rules;
- Intervene, correct (where able to) and report all unsafe or non-compliant situations by taking action (e.g. hazard spots) and reporting near misses;
- Demonstrate a duty of care towards those you come in contact with and work with and proactively escalate potential Health and Safety issues as and where appropriate;
- Support and promote the e2v Safety, Health and Environment Leadership Team (SHELT) programme to strengthen our Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental (OHSE) culture for proactive and continuous improvement of our OHSE programs which provide for a productive and safe working environment.
- Highly competent level of mechanical design knowledge and application (machining, sheet metal fabrication, joining techniques etc.)
- Proficient and proven knowledge and experience of jig, fixture and tooling design
- Highly Competent in technical draughting
- Highly proficient use of 3D and 2D CAD packages (PTC Creo and AutoCAD).
- Knowledge and experience of applying design and drawing standards (BS8888)
- Thorough understanding of material properties and the effects in design and their use
- Experience of product and document configuration management
- Disciplined approach and good communication skills
- Be proactive in seeking resolutions to problems
- Ability to effectively manage time and costs
- Ability to motivate self to carry out tasks efficiently and effectively and to track progress to deal with any issues as they arise
- Degree/H.N.C. or equivalent qualified in a mechanical engineering discipline
Services advertised by Gold Group are those of an Agency and/or an Employment Business.