|Location: Chelmsford||Salary: £35000 - £50000 per annum|
|Sector: Engineering||Type: Permanent|
|Contact: Matt Henocq||Job Published: 25 days ago|
ustoms Compliance Officer
My client is a global leader in specialised components and subsystems for innovative solutions in medical, science, aerospace, defence and industrial applications.
Our products are everywhere, hospitals, planes, ships and even outer space, but you will only see them if you know where to look.
Working with us will enable you to develop and gain experience in the ideas that are behind some of the most advanced technologies in the world. You will also get a chance to work alongside highly experienced engineers, technicians and scientists.
Our products do many things including saving people's lives by finding and treating cancer, helping map our planet and the universe and freezing the atom down to 0° Kelvin.
This position requires the ongoing local development, implementation and management of the import and export Customs compliance functions for the assigned locations. The role demands exceptional communication and collaboration skills, and a strong Customs compliance expertise. The Customs Compliance Officer will support the locations in managing customs procedures for imports and exports, interacting with all of the various functional areas, the designated Trade Compliance Leads for the assigned locations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for ensuring effective import and export Customs compliance at multiple business units falling under their assigned scope, in accordance with domestic and foreign import and export laws and regulations and my clients corporate customs compliance policies and procedures.
- Ensure and support appropriate management accountability and responsibility for Customs compliance.
- Establish and maintain Customs compliance procedures and program documentation, including import and export instructions, documentation; trade data points such as HTS classification, country of origin and FTA determination, valuation, etc.; forwarding agent management; recordkeeping; audits and training.
- Act as Customs compliance liaison to sales representatives, distributors, customers and other third parties, as required.
- Review Customs entries for accuracy and compliance with customs regulations and CITC policies and procedures.
- Provide quarterly and yearly reporting of relevant trade compliance data to CITC.
- Conduct regular Customs compliance training for senior management, engineers, scientists, shipping, sales and marketing and other functions involved in import and exporting.
- Conduct periodic audits and self-audits and implement corrective action, as required.
- Assist Corporate Legal- International Trade Compliance Office with investigations of any incidences of purported non-compliance with customs laws and regulations.
- Attend the Corporate International Trade Compliance annual conference
- Attend external third-party Customs training seminars as required
- Other trade compliance duties as assigned
- Flexible availability when necessary to reach goals and deadlines.
Education and/or Experience
No specific qualifications but a university degree expected and at least 5 years of directly related experience and/or training. Experience of operating FTA advantageous.
Specific Customs Compliance Experience
Practical experience implementing import trade compliance programs is mandatory. Extensive knowledge of UK and EU Customs and experience with freight agents essential. Experience in Preferential Origin qualification, evaluating MSS Data, Binding Tariff Information ("BTIs"), and Customs Special Procedures a plus.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyses information skilfully.
- Project Management - Communicates changes and progress.
- Technical Skills - Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills - Maintains confidentiality, demonstrates empathy and engages and develops positive and trusted working relationships
- Oral Communication - Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively.
- Teamwork - Gives and welcomes feedback; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Works with integrity and ethically.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Supports organization's goals and values.
- Judgment - Includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
- Motivation - Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
- Planning/Organising - Prioritises and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Initiative - Seeks increased responsibilities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation - Generates suggestions for improving work.
Services advertised by Gold Group are those of an Agency and/or an Employment Business.