|Location: Portsmouth||Salary: £50000 - £60000 per annum + + benefits|
|Sector: Client Delivery, Defence, Engineering||Type: Permanent|
|Contact: Nick Taylor||Job Published: 20 days ago|
Portsmouth/Bristol/Farnborough- Hybrid Working
£50,000 - £60,000 + benefits
Electromagnetic Engineer needed for a leading defence and security organisation with offices across the UK, such as the Portsmouth/Bristol/Farnborough areas who are looking to employ a number of experienced and well-rounded Electromagnetic Engineers that takes pride in their work.
As an Electromagnetic Engineer, you will be looking at all aspects of the subject, starting with equipment from an assessment point of view - ensuring CE compatibility, meeting appropriate standards, through to integrating on a large number of different platforms - land, naval and air. Assessing whether equipment is safe to work with, has controlled emissions, and is susceptible to other emitters, intentional or otherwise. Understanding this and being able to design solutions to protect against all of these aspects, will be a key part of the job.
What the role of the Electromagnetic Engineer entails:
Some of the main duties of the Electromagnetic Engineer will include:
- Undertaking Electromagnetic Environment Effects (EEE) related tasks & support the EME Lead ensuring the EEE design is adequately implemented throughout all products, systems and platforms
- Undertaking EME analysis in support of Safety, Interoperability, Performance and Capability Validation of an EME aspect. Support to Procurement in reviewing supplier's responses and discussions with suppliers. Carry out analysis including RADHAZ, Mutual Interference, EMC, EMP, Lightning and TEMPEST
- Ensuring that the key reports are kept up to date and reported to the EEE Lead monthly
- Providing help and direction to less experienced team members to support both their effective working and their development
- Supporting the EEE team at a variety of sites for the EEE aspects and problem resolving
- Answering any EEE queries and if necessary, update the design policies to reflect any systematic change
- Topside Assessment
- TEMPEST Assessment
What experience you need to be the successful Electromagnetic Engineer:
- Awareness of antenna and receiver front-end design for RADAR and communication systems, including antenna siting, RADHAZ, Mutual Interference, exclusion zones with trade-offs between systems
- Understand the requirements for lightning and ESD protection including cone of protection and rolling sphere analysis and strike probabilities
- Awareness of materials avoidance of galvanic corrosion and passive intermodulation
- Knowledge of EEE related UK defence standards (DEF-STAN 59-41 and 59-411), related US standards (MIL-STD 461) and Civil EMC standards
- Knowledge of HERP, HERE, HERO and HERF (Radiation Standards) safety standards, and appropriate DEF STAN, Mil-STD and NATO STANAG's. Knowledge of EMF Directive and CEMFAW Regulations including implanted medical devices
- Knowledge of RADHAZ from h-fields from high power cables
- Able to determine RADHAZ safety distances from Comms and RADAR systems using antenna models, mathematical analysis and comparison with the appropriate safety standards
- Understand Near field, Far field EM propagation and their impact on RADHAZ models, applicability and RADHAZ risks
- Ability to manage support EEE problem sentencing activities to an agreed programme and budget
- Ability to perform an EEE gap analysis and assess consequential EEE risk and develop risk mitigation schemes in support of product and integration teams
- Awareness of modelling capability and be able to determine when the use of approximate or full field tools is appropriate and the most cost-effective technique
- Capable of undertaking and supporting TEMPEST assessments and aware of current TEMPEST standards
- Design experience plus mitigation and understanding risk
- Degree (or equivalent such as HNC or demonstrable experience) in electrical engineering or an associated science subject
In order to be eligible for this role you will need to undergo Security Clearance Background Checks that require you to be a UK resident and UK passport holder.
This really is a fantastic opportunity for an Electromagnetic Engineer to progress their career. If you are interested please apply as soon as possible as this position will be filled quickly so don't miss out!
Services advertised by Gold Group are those of an Agency and/or an Employment Business.