|Location: Northolt, London||Salary: Negotiable|
|Sector: Client Delivery, Engineering, Defence||Type: Permanent|
|Contact: Joe Tomkins||Job Published: 13 days ago|
Head of Software Engineering
Defence / Electronics Engineering
My client, a globally recognised defence / electronics company, based in Northolt, are looking for a Head of Software Engineering, to provide technical leadership and line & resource management of a Software Engineering Team of ~25 engineers, delivering multiple concurrent research, development and production programmes ranging from tens of £k to several £m.
On offer is a highly competitive salary for this Head of Software position, as well as a benefits package, detailed below.
Benefits for Head of Software Engineering:
- Flexible working hours
- Early finish on Friday
- Health care
- Dental care
- Matched 5% pension
- Subsidised gym & canteen
- & many more!
Key Responsibilities for Head of Software Engineering:
- Develop, train, mentor and lead a team of professional Software Engineers across embedded, Windows and Linux platforms in order to provide a capable and multi-skilled team.
- Recruitment of team members to meet project and business resource profiles; identifies performance shortfalls and manages team performance as required.
- Provide technical direction and exert technical influence across multiple projects, such that the optimal approach, architecture, design, and toolchain are selected.
- The design, development and delivery of high quality software artefacts for multiple projects, in accordance with project and company process, and project schedules, to ensure the delivery of products that meet their requirements.
- Providing Software Engineering input into internal and customer design reviews to ensure a successful outcome.
- Work closely with the system, firmware and software architects to ensure consistency, design for modularity and re-use, and technical excellence.
- Ensure that the process captured in the Business Management System is actively maintained, reflects best practice, and that the project and company Software Development Plans and Configuration Management Plans are adhered to, in order to achieve successful audits.
- Generate and review technical proposals, and provide estimates for the associated effort, costs and risks, for bids and proposals, leading to contract awards.
- Work closely with project management and engineering project leads to create proposals that drive down project costs and increase margin.
Qualifications and Skills Required for Head of Software Engineering:
- Previous experience of line management, resource management and implementing process improvements.
- Significant experience of embedded product development (bare-metal and RTOS) using best practice over the full software development lifecycle.
- Experience of Windows, Python and Linux application and driver development advantageous.
- Advanced knowledge of software engineering practices, methodologies, processes, techniques and technology trends.
- Experience of DOORS, TDD, GoogleTest, Jenkins, CodeSonar, JIRA, UML and SysML would be advantageous.
- Degree in an engineering, mathematical or science-based subject desirable.
To apply for this exciting permanent opportunity for a Head of Software Engineering, please press 'apply now'.