|Location: Bristol, England||Salary: £32000 - £42000 per annum|
|Type: Permanent||Contact: Sam Francis|
Main Purpose of the Systems Engineer:
Apply problem solving, abstract thinking and creativity in the context of systems development.
Undertake engineering tasks, support for tools, design processes, requirements capture and management, under the leadership of the Systems Engineering Manager.
We are seeking an enthusiastic degree qualified engineer (or equivalent) to join a growing systems engineering team. The successful applicant will receive exposure and experience working on large scale projects with opportunities to advance their career in the field of engineering. The applicant shall have worked in a professional engineering environment, be familiar with engineering processes and possess a basic appreciation of systems engineering fundamentals. This may have been obtained through experience in other engineering disciplines.
As such the following will form the core responsibilities of the Systems Engineer role:
Core Responsibilities of the Systems Engineer:
- Support in the management of system level requirements;
- Support in the management of Verification and Validation (V&V) evidence and understand the importance of tracability to customer requirements;
- Knowledge of system level compliance documentation and management of concessions;
- Reviewing and communicating the impact of changes to the technical baseline;
- Aid in the development of V&V test plans;
- To review the verification evidence received from key suppliers for compliance, either personally or through liaison with suitably qualified experienced personnel;
- Support lower level decomposition of requirements traceable to customer requirements.
- Support the technical query and engineering change management process;
- To assist in reviewing engineering work packages and associated work breakdown structures.The following are desirable attributes for the role, but training and development will be available. Desirable but not essential skills/responsibilities:
- Knowledge of SysML (Systems Modelling Language);
- Knowledge of MODAF and DODAF architectures;
- Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA).
- Support design reviews and workshops to gain acceptance of the company designs from customer and project team stakeholders;
- To assist in the production of system and equipment specifications;
- To assist in the production of acceptance and selection criteria; and the technical evaluation of supplier responses;
- To capture voids in designs and present these to stakeholders
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE OF THE SYSTEMS ENGINEER:
- 1+ years' experience working on complex engineering projects;
- Good understanding of systems concepts, context, boundaries, interfaces, system hierarchy and the principles of system partitioning in order to help manage complexity;
- Understands the characteristics of good quality requirements, elicitation methods and tools;
- Good understanding of requirements engineering within Defence Projects;
- Knowledge of Systems Design methodologies;
- Able to understand detail and a low level of fidelity in technical decision making;
- Good planning, communications, and co-ordination skills;
- Good PC skills (Experience with DOORS, System Architect and Rhapsody would be beneficial although not essential);
Knowledge of marine systems engineering would be beneficial but not essential.
COMPLEXITY AND CREATIVITY - PROBLEM SOLVING:
Work is multi-disciplined, managing various technical resources and functions within the company. Problems may be complex and solutions require creativity within the conflicting parameters of specification, budget and schedule. Problems are mainly technical but occasionally people related, requiring pragmatism as well as technical skill.
Some domestic and occasional overseas travel may be required.
If you think that you would make a good Systems Engineer, please apply!