|Location: Kings Hill, Kent||Salary: £33000 - £40000 per annum|
|Sector: Highways & Highways Electricals||Specialism:|
|Type: Permanent||Contact: Emma Puddick|
Job Title: Highway Design Engineer
Contract type: Permanent (40 hours per week)
Salary:£33,000 to £46,000 pa
Area/Location: Kings Hill and there may be some requirement to travel
Core Job Summary for the Highways Design Engineer:
The successful Highways Design Engineer will provide cost effective innovative technical design solutions for MAC and Framework schemes to maintain or improve the roads asset to the agreed budget, programme and quality, whilst considering the needs of key stakeholders.
You will be in charge of production of design packages schemes for construction, for but not limited to Pavement, Road Markings, Signing, Fencing, VRS, Drainage, Technology and Improvements.
Key Duties for the Highways Design Engineer:
- Undertake Construction Design Management responsibilities under the role of Designer.
- Support the Roads Design Team leader.
- Working as part of the Integrated Delivery Team (IDT) including close liaison with other teams within the client to ensure successful delivery of schemes.
- To work within the given briefs, programmes and budgets and to advise the Design Team Leader and IDT if this cannot be achieved.
- Prepare concept designs, Value Management (VM) documents, participate in VM workshops and identify risks.
- Deliver schemes to programme and budget and report on progress on a regular basis and forecast progress and costs including preparation of designs, reports, specifications and other deliverables for their schemes.
- Detailed development and design of schemes including drawings, reports and calculations, in accordance with the Highways England's standards including the DMRB, IANs and MCHW.
- Seek innovation in the delivery of schemes and techniques used to design and construct them.
- Consultation with Local Authorities, Police and Stakeholders for the production of traffic regulation orders.
- Promote health, safety and wellbeing.
- Ensure that any relevant databases are kept up to date.
- Apply LEAN techniques in the design process through Collaborative Meetings and Continuous improvement.
Essentials for the Highways Design Engineer:
- Working towards membership of an appropriate professional institution (ICE or IHT etc).
- Relevant vocational qualifications (MEng / BEng / BSc / HNC and HND).
- 3 years post qualification experience in design of highways Schemes and construction of highway schemes.
- Project Management Skills (inc programming and budgeting).
- Broad skills, knowledge and understanding of other design areas.
- Understanding of H&S requirements related to relevant engineering discipline.
- Broad knowledge of CDM and other H&S legislation.
- Competent in exercising the Designer's obligations of CDM.
- Understanding of environmental requirements of highway schemes.
- Broad knowledge of quality management.
- Detailed knowledge of design codes and specifications (DMRB / MCDHW etc) relevant to highway engineering.
- Knowledge of the HA procedures necessary to deliver a Highways project.
- Knowledge of the use of computer design tools.
- Knowledge of MicroDrainage software.
Desirables for the Highways Design Engineer:
- Competent in highway drainage engineering.
- CSCS Management Card.
- Presentation skills.
- Delegation skills.
- Team building skills.
- Ability to manage a team to deliver demanding targets.
- Strong communications skills to be able to unambiguously.
- communicate targets, and priorities.
- Ability to develop relationships and engender trust at all levels of the organisation and with Clients.
- Driver's licence.
- Working for Highways England.
- Identification of developing team members.
If you are interested please get in touch as they will get you started ASAP.